Who are the Lords and Ladies of the Aratar in order from greatest to least? What is the Elvish name for the Vale of Saruman? Name all of the Peredhil. What does Aiya Eärendil elenion ancalima mean? It’s questions like these that belong on a hardcore Tolkien quiz, not “What does the J.R.R. stand for?”
This, my friends, is a hardcore Tolkien quiz. Some of the questions are easier, but most of them are obscure details which no sane person should know. I hope you know your Silmarillion, because you will need it.
Highlight the text between the brackets to view the answers. No peeking before you’ve made your best guess, and keep track of how many right answers you get, because you’ll need them for scoring! And good luck. 😀
- Where did Turgon first rule? [Nevrast]
- Who was the second son of Finarfin? [Orodreth]
- How long did it take to build Gondolin? [52 years]
- Who inspired Turgon and Finrod to build their hidden kingdoms? [Ulmo]
- What relation is Thingol to Galadriel? [Maternal great-uncle]
- Who was Celembrimbor’s father? [Curufin]
- What were the names of Gondolin’s imitations of the Two Trees? [Glingal and Belthil]
- What kingdom did Finrod build? [Nargothrond]
- What were Mandos’ and Lórien’s real names, respectively? [Námo and Irmo]
- Is Vána greater or lesser than Vairë? [lesser]
- What evil creatures lived in Nan Dungortheb? [spiders]
- Of whose kin was Eöl? [Thingol’s]
- What metal did Eöl devise? [galvorn]
- What name did Aredhel give her son? [Lómion]
- Who discovered the first Men to enter Beleriand? [Finrod]
0-3 questions correct: You are Peregrin Took. Whilst in Rivendell, you preferred to spend time eating rather than studying Elrond’s books and maps.
4-6 questions correct: You are Bilbo Baggins. Years spent in Rivendell have taught you much of the lore of Arda.
7-9 questions correct: You are Gandalf the White, a Maia of Valinor. There’s little you don’t know.
10 questions correct: You are Manwë Súlimo, greatest of the Aratar. Manwë’s eye sees all that occurs in Arda.
Comment your score below, I’d love to know what you got! And share this quiz with your friends on social media to see who is the greatest geek among you.
If you enjoyed this quiz, I have exciting news: I’m planning a full-length ebook full of questions like these! (Only difference is, there will be a lot of way easier questions. 🙂 ) Sign up for my mailing list here to receive a free copy of Aratar, Peredhil, and Halflings, Oh My!: The Ultimate Tolkien Quiz when it comes out, as well as updates on my other books!